When you’re a fresher, knowing where to start regarding your resume can be difficult. Many people think that the most important part is the experience section, but that’s not always the case. In fact, your resume summary is one of the most important sections on your resume – and it’s something that many freshers take lightly.
Think about it – when an employer looks at dozens of resumes, they’ll probably only spend a few minutes on each one. Instead, they’ll glance over the experience section first and then move on to the summary.
They won’t bother reading further if your summary isn’t well written.
But if you take the time to write a strong summary, you’ll catch their attention and make sure
they read through the rest of your resume. So how do you go about writing a good summary? Read on for tips!
What is a Summary for a Resume?
A resume summary is a succinct overview of your professional qualifications and experience. It is typically used to provide hiring managers with a broad sense of your background and skills and to communicate your value as an employee.
While the length of your resume summary will vary depending on your experience level, generally, it should be no longer than three or four sentences. Here is an example of a strong resume summary:
Seasoned software engineer with over eight years of experience developing high-performance applications. Proven ability to lead development teams and mentor junior engineers. Skilled in Java, Python, and SQL.
Most job seekers believe that a resume summary for freshers should simply state their degree, college, and specialization. However, your resume summary is much more than that! It’s an opportunity to sell yourself to the hiring manager and make them want to read the rest of your resume.
Here’s an example of a strong resume summary for a fresher:
Highly motivated engineering graduate seeking an entry-level role in mechanical engineering. Proven academic excellence with a degree from one of India’s top colleges. Interested in learning new technologies and honing my problem-solving skills.
This job seeker has communicated their motivation, impressive academic record, and career interests in just three sentences.
Why a Summary in a Resume matters?
Studies point out that 63% of recruiters preferred resumes tailored to the open position. This is why it is important to have a good resume that is personalized for the position.
4 Reasons why a well crafted Summary in a Resume is important
- A good profile summary gives the reader a quick, informative snapshot of who you are and what you bring to the table.
- It allows you to concisely showcase your most relevant skills and accomplishments, making all the difference when busy recruiters or hiring managers to review your CV.
- Including a profile summary also allows you to highlight keywords that may be beneficial for filtering purposes (e.g., certain certification tags, Years of experience working with XYZ software).
- Because they offer a broad overview of your professional identity, resume summaries can also be helpful when networking or constructing LinkedIn profiles.
How To Write a Summary for a Resume that is Impressive for Interviewers?
If you are a fresher, you may be wondering how to write a resume summary that will effectively sell your qualifications to employers.
Here are some tips on how to write a resume summary for freshers:
1. Record your essential skills
Assuming you’re starting from scratch, the first step to writing a resume summary for freshers is to sit down and record your most essential skills. This can include hard skills like computer programming or accounting to soft skills like customer service or team management.
Try to be as comprehensive as possible, and don’t worry if some of your skills seem unrelated at first glance. The point is just to get a broad overview of everything you offer. Once you have a good list of skills, you can start thinking about how best to present them in your summary. Remember that a resume summary is meant to be a snapshot of your most important qualifications, so make sure each one you include is truly worth highlighting.
2. Carefully review job descriptions
Carefully review job descriptions, examples, and other resources to find information for freshers to include in your resume summary. Consider what employers are looking for and how you can showcase your skills and experience in a summary statement. Keep it brief and focus on highlighting your strengths.
3. Say why you’d be a good fit for the position
Your resume summary should focus on how you can help the employer achieve their goals, not on what you want from them. For example, instead of saying, “Seeking a position where I can utilize my skills and abilities,” try “A position that will allow me to use my skills and abilities to help the company reach its goals.” This communicates that you are motivated by more than just your interests and understand the importance of putting the company’s needs first.
4. Keep it short and sweet
Just keep it short and sweet. Summarize your skills, experience, and education in a few sentences, and you’ll be good to go. Your resume summary should be no more than 2-3 sentences long. Employers don’t have time to read through a lengthy statement, so ensure you succinctly convey your point. First, list the most relevant information and target the job you’re applying for.
The final step in writing a resume summary for freshers is to proofread the entire document. This includes checking for grammar and punctuation errors and ensuring that all information included is accurate. Once you have checked your work, ask someone else to read over it to catch any mistakes you may have missed. After taking these steps, you will have created a Professional, error-free resume summary that will likely impress potential employers.
What to include in a Resume Summary for Freshers?
Let us look at 6 things you can include in your resume summary.
- Experience from internships: You should include any relevant internship experience in your resume summary. This will show that you have the skills and abilities to do the job you are applying for.
- Projects: It is also a good idea to include an example of a project you have worked on that is relevant to the position you are applying for. This will give the employer a better idea of your capabilities and what you can bring to their company.
- Personalize: Make sure to tailor your resume summary to the position you are applying for. This will ensure that the employer sees that you are a good fit for the job and increases your chances of getting an interview.
- Extracurricular activities: Include any relevant extracurricular activities you have been involved in. This will show the employer that you are well-rounded and have various interests.
- Leadership roles: If you have held any leadership roles in extracurricular activities or at previous jobs, be sure to include these as well. This will show the employer that you can take charge and get things done.
- Club or committee memberships: Include them in your resume summary if you have any relevant club or committee memberships. This will show the employer that you are committed to your chosen field and have leadership experience.
5 Tips for Writing Impressive Summary in Resume for Freshers
- Start with a powerful opening sentence that outlines your most relevant qualifications for the job you’re applying to.
- Use specific examples and numbers to illustrate your impressive accomplishments, and make sure to tailor your summary to fit the needs of the particular role you’re interested in.
- Use strong action verbs to describe your skills and achievements, and avoid using rushed or generic language.
- Be sure to proofread your resume summary carefully before submitting it, and don’t hesitate to ask for help from a friend or professional third-party editor if needed.
- Remember that your resume summary is just one part of your larger resume, so make sure the rest of your application is equally strong. With a little effort, you can make sure your resume summary is working hard to land you the job you want!
19 Best Examples of Summary for a Resume for Freshers
1. Resume summary for fresher Business Administration executive
Detail-oriented office administrator seeking an entry-level position in the business administration market. Excited to join the team at XYZ Distribution Group and bring a new level of organization and attention to detail.
2. Resume summary for fresher Marketing Executive
A highly motivated and ambitious marketing graduate passionate about creativity and innovation. Skilled in creating and executing successful marketing campaigns that generate tangible results gained during internships. Excel at building relationships with clients and customers and a strong understanding of the customer journey.
3. Resume summary for fresher Content Writer
A talented mass communication graduate with a knack for combining ideas with words, especially in lifestyle and apparel. Experienced writer with skills in SEO and social media marketing gained during internships. Proven ability to produce quality written content for publication.
4. Resume summary for fresher Accountant
Recently graduated from the University of XYZ and have experience working in a fast-paced environment. Proven ability to work with QuickBooks, Excel, and other accounting software.
5. Resume summary for fresher Data analyst
An experienced, competent, and hardworking person is looking for an entry-level data interpretation and analysis job to help a pharmaceutical company grow. Possess the capacity to handle concerns professionally and under pressure.
6. Resume summary for freshers in Banking
Banking and Finance graduate with a strong interest in investment banking and financial analysis. Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines. Skilled in Excel and VBA programming. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
7. Resume summary for fresher in Sales
Sales and Marketing graduate with a strong interest in brand management and marketing communications. Skilled in Excel and PowerPoint with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
8. Resume summary for freshers in Social Media Marketing
A creative and quick-thinking marketing professional passionate about brand awareness and customer interaction. Strong interest in content creation and community management with skills in Photoshop and InDesign.
9. Resume summary for fresher in Digital Marketing
Digital marketing certified professional with experience in SEO, content marketing, and lead generation. Skilled in copywriting, email marketing, and social media marketing. Able to work independently and as part of a team.
10. Resume summary for fresher in Advertising
Seeking an entry-level position in Marketing to utilize my superior understanding of advertising gained during my Masters. Excellent communicator and market researcher who can help win over potential clients with persuasive skills.
11. Resume summary for fresher in Project management
Highly organized and motivated recent graduate with experience in managing small to medium-sized projects. Excels at creating detailed project plans and ensuring all aspects of a project are accounted for. Skilled in communicating with clients, stakeholders, and team members to ensure projects run smoothly from start to finish.
12. Resume summary for fresher Teacher
A recent graduate of B.Ed degree with a proven track record effectively teaching mathematics to middle school pupils. Well-versed in classroom management and lesson planning.
13. Resume summary for fresher Software engineer
Software engineer with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from XYZ University. Proficient in Java, C++, and Python with a working knowledge of HTML, CSS, and SQL. Seeking an entry-level position in the field of software engineering to utilize my skills and make a difference.
14. Resume summary for fresher in Architecture
Creative and innovative architect with a passion for design and a keen eye for detail. Seeking an entry-level position in an architectural firm where I can utilize my CAD skills and knowledge of building codes to create innovative designs that improve the quality of people’s lives.
15. Resume summary for fresher Nurse
Licensed RN seeking an entry-level nursing position to begin my career in a hospital setting. Compassionate and patient, with a strong desire to make a difference in the lives of others.
16. Resume summary for fresher Journalist
Passionate and dynamic Journalist seeking an entry-level position in media and communications. Skilled in writing compelling news stories and conducting interviews. Proven track record of working well under pressure and meeting deadlines.
17. Resume summary for fresher in Cabin Crew
Personable and people-oriented flight attendant seeking an entry-level position with ABC Airlines. Passionate about providing top-notch customer service and have the ability to stay calm under pressure.
18. Resume summary for fresher in Public Relations
Ambitious and driven public relations strategist seeking an entry-level position in the field of communications. Skilled in social media management, event planning, and media relations. Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
19. Resume summary for fresher Lawyer
Solution-driven JD degree student with a history of academic excellence and a passion for business law. Proven ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Seeking an entry-level position in the legal field where I can utilize my research, writing, and analytical skills.
All in All
We hope this blog post has given you a better idea of how to write your resume summary for freshers. Remember, it’s essential to tailor your resume summary to the specific job you are applying for and showcase your skills in a way that is relevant to the company.
Bonus Reading to make your Resume Stand Apart