Our previous article was on, “How to Smartly Answer – Why did you apply for this position?“. This is a common but tricky interview question that everyone faces during interviews.
It is tricky interview question because any generic answer you would some up with, can be easy to detect for the interviewers.
They can quickly gauge your lack or preparation and seriousness, not just of the interview but for your career!
This is why a few candidates will naturally try preparing some answers before the interviews. But they will still miss the mark. Because they lack the understanding of why interviewers ask this.
You do not want to fall into any of these traps. You want to deliver an answer that gives you an edge over hundreds of other applicants.
So, It’s important to think about why the job stands out to you and what resonates with you.
Here are a few sample answers to help you craft a response that will help you shine during your interview.
Similar Interview Questions
As a reminder, there are many similar questions that interviewers can ask you o you can think of to guide your own search for your own answer.
- Why are you interested in this job?
- Reasons why I am interested in this job ..
- Why did you apply in our company?
- Why are you interested in this role?
- Why are you interested in this vacancy?
- Why did you choose to apply in our company?
- Why did you decide to apply for this position?
- Why are you interested in working at this company?
- What motivated you to apply for this position?
- Why do you want to apply for this job?
50 Powerful “Why are you interested in this position Sample Answers”
Before you read these sample answers here are the 3 things to remember.
1. Treat these sample answers as a trigger and set of ideas for imagining your own answer.
2. These sample answers provide you with a starting point. You should add apt situational examples of experiences from your own life, depending upon the sample answer that gives you the required starting point.
3. Always choose the language or style of speaking that comes naturally to you. It makes you look genuine to the interviewer.
Sample Answers For freshers
1. If you are applying for a sales, marketing, or customer service position
“I am inspired by the company’s mission. And I think that your products make a huge difference in people’s lives. I am excited to be able to help promote and grow the company.”
2. Generic sample answer that can be tweaked for different job positions
“I am very much interested in this position as it seems like a great fit for my skill set. I have recently graduated with a business degree. Because of this, I possess the knowledge that is needed to be successful in this role.
In addition, I am naturally interested in working with people and helping them to reach their potential. This position seems like it would be extremely rewarding and challenging. And I am confident that I have the ability to excel in it.”
3. Sample answer for someone truly looking for challenges
“I became interested in this position because it represents a more challenging opportunity in my field. (Explain why ..)
As someone always looking to improve her skills and explore new ideas in college, I believe this position will allow me to do just that. Additionally, the company’s values mirror my values. This builds a natural connection for this job in my mind.”
4. Sample answer explaining why the position gives you an ideal start to your career
“I believe this entry-level position offers me the chance to grow as a professional in (marketing or sales or engineering or …). I wish to demonstrate a real impact within the company once hired.
I consider my first 10 years of career especially important from the perspective of gaining valuable long term skills and experience. This position looks like an ideal start for the same.”
5. Sample answer for those applying for positions in e-commerce companies
“eCommerce is one of the most fascinating and rapidly-growing industries out there. I believe that it has the potential to change the way we buy, live and do business.
I want to be a part of that change! I believe that this company is positioned to be a major player in that space (Explain why ..).
I have always enjoyed analyzing data and finding out insightful patterns. Both of these make me interested in working as an analyst with you.”
Sample Answers for experienced software engineers
6. “With my 3 years of experience in software development, there is one clear realization. I’m attracted to the challenge of working on innovative projects. Using my creativity to solve complex problems is the biggest motivator. (Give a couple of quick examples … )
Additionally, I appreciate the opportunity to work as part of your high-quality team. I believe it will bring the best out of me. Overall I feel that my skills, experience, and interests make me an excellent candidate for this position. So, I am very excited about the possibility of joining your team.”
7. “As we know, there’s a lot of room for innovation in the field of digital payments. Based on my research, I believe that your company is well-positioned to take advantage of those opportunities. (Share a couple of examples of such opportunities …)
I’m excited about the possibility of being able to contribute to its success as a core member of the team.”
8. “I appreciate the workplace culture you have cultivated at your company. Openness to new ideas and free hand given to the developers to try them out is especially commendable!
I am looking for an opportunity to be part of such a developers team and give my best to deliver on the expectations. I believe my skills and background are fairly aligned to this role as well.”
9. “I have been a regular customer of yours for several years now. And I have always been impressed with the quality of your products.
I am interested in this position because it would allow me to work with a company known for its high-quality products. I believe that my skills and experience would be a valuable addition to your team.
The latest developments with regards to the product line are exciting. So, it inspires me to get an opportunity to work on the same.”
10. “An overseas company that can offer me both the challenge and opportunity I need to grow as a professional, will be the right next step for me. A strong international experience can be a big positive for my career.
This position perfectly fits that description, so I am interested in it. Additionally, I believe that I have the qualifications and skills needed to succeed in this role.”
11. “An opportunity that would allow me to work with a globally reputed organization is important at this juncture in my career. As a software engineer, I thrive on working with new technologies and collaborating with teams to develop innovative applications.
I believe my skills and background would be an asset to your team. At the same time, it will be a huge opportunity for me to experience the impact of my work across millions of users of your software.”
12. “I am interested in this position because I want to build my career in the software industry. And I believe that this company is a great place to start my career.
This position will allow me to learn new programming languages and software development techniques, which will help me become a better software developer. I am especially interested in learning xyz …
I am confident that I can be an asset to your team based on my academic record and previous experience. I am looking forward to delivering my best given an opportunity.”
13. “A chance to play a role in promoting technological innovations that impact society at large is inspirational for me. I strongly believe that technology can play a transformative role in society.
And I am excited to be part of an organization committed to using technology for social good. I believe that my skills and experience make me a strong match for this position. So, I am eager to utilize my skills to help your organization achieve its goals.”
14. “I am interested in this position because it allows me to collaborate with experienced professionals. I would be able to learn from more experienced developers and have the opportunity to share my ideas and knowledge with them.
This position also offers the chance to work on interesting and challenging projects, which I am very passionate about.”
15. “My technical background is strong, with experience in software development and system engineering. I also have experience in project management.
It will put me in a good position to lead and manage the team responsible for developing and implementing the new system. I am interested in this position as it leverages my acquired skillsets in the best possible way!”
Sample Answers for candidates applying for HR job positions
16. “Human resources are perhaps the most important part of any company or organization. People are the lifeblood of any business. And without proper management and care, a company will quickly fall apart.
As an experienced HR professional, I have seen firsthand how essential a good HR department is to a company’s success. I am interested in this position because I can make a real difference in an organization by ensuring that its people are properly managed and taken care of.”
17. “There are a few reasons behind my interest in this position. As an experienced HR professional, I understand the importance of hiring the right employees for the right job. Then it comes to building and contributing to various HR systems that govern employee development. I feel I will get ample opportunity to work on all of them in coming years with your organization.”
18. “As someone who has been in the HR field for several years, I’ve seen firsthand the importance of finding the right fit for each position. It’s one of the most important aspects of successful businesses.
It requires a range of skills and carefully crafted systems. I would be honored to help your team in this area. In addition, my previous experience has taught me a lot about what it takes to find and retain good employees.”
19. “I’m interested in this position because it allows me to utilize my specific experience in human resources. Especially the work related to processing company payroll is where I can deliver my best.
I enjoy working with people and solving problems, and this position would allow me to do both. Additionally, I would be able to learn more about the inner workings of a company and how to manage its employees best.”
20. “As an experienced HR professional, I understand the importance of developing and maintaining strong relationships with employees. In my previous role, I was responsible for managing employee relations for a large organization.
I oversaw all aspects of the employee experience, from onboarding and orientation to performance management and exit interviews. Attaining this type of comprehensive view of the employee lifecycle has given me invaluable insight into how to build an effective and nurturing workplace culture.
I know that with this position, I will get ample opportunity to demonstrate that”
21. “I applied for this position because I am passionate about workforce development. I have spent much of my career focused on identifying and addressing skills gaps within organizations. I was heavily involved in implementing new training programs in my previous role.
With this position, I will get a very attractive opportunity to build on top of that experience. It also ensures that you will get the best of me! “
22. “Leading a team of talented HR professionals to deliver rapid growth is my core motivation!
In this role, I would be able to help the company attract top talent and maintain a high level of employee engagement. Additionally, I would be able to contribute to the development of best practices in HR.
This position is a great fit for my skills and interests. And I am excited about the opportunity to join such a reputable company.”
Sample Answers for Customer service positions
23. “I’m passionate about retail and delivering great customer service. Plus, I really believe in the ethos of your company.
To me, it’s not just about selling products. It’s about creating an enjoyable shopping experience for customers and building lasting relationships. That’s something I pride myself on and something I know I could bring to your team.”
24. “It would be really rewarding to work for a company making a difference. Your store is not just about peddling products – it’s about making a difference in people’s lives.
Whether through supporting local businesses, helping people lead healthier lifestyles, or simply brightening someone’s day…
I think what you’re doing is awesome. That’s why I want to work with you as a customer service representative.”
25. “I’ve been looking forward to working for a high-growth startup. I’ve found that the most successful startups are the ones that are constantly innovating and pushing the envelope. And what better place to be than at the forefront of innovation?
I’m also interested in working as a customer service representative because it would allow me to work with a team of talented individuals who share my passion and connect with people.”
26. “My previous experience is a strong and relevant background to deliver while learning more in this position.As a customer service representative, it is important to be able to handle customer inquiries and provide accurate information.
My previous experience has taught me how to effectively handle customer complaints, provide solutions, and keep customers satisfied. I believe that my skills and experience would make me a valuable asset to your team.”
27. “I’ve always had a strong interest in customer service and supporting others. This position is an excellent way to use my skills to support your customers and help contribute to their overall satisfaction.
Based on my previous experience, I know that I can be a valuable asset to your team by providing exceptional customer service.
In addition, I’m extremely interested in the product or service that you offer. For me, it’s not just about providing good customer service but also about being passionate about the product or brand that you’re representing. I strongly believe that this makes for a more enjoyable and successful customer experience.”
28. “This position seems to be an excellent match for my strengths and preferences.
For one thing, I have a lot of experience working with people from diverse backgrounds. In addition, I’m very patient and have a good sense of humor, both of which are essential qualities for anyone in this role.
I have a strong interest in promoting equal access to education and opportunity. This position would allow me to continue working in these areas while developing new skills and knowledge.”
29. “I am passionate about this position for a few reasons.
First and foremost, it emphasizes communication and diplomacy skills- two key qualities that I value. In addition, it also allows me to learn more about different cultures and customs- something that I am always interested in.
Finally, I believe that this position has the potential to be very rewarding, both professionally and personally. In short, I am intrigued by the idea of becoming a stronger communicator and more adept diplomat. This is while I continue to learn about other cultures.
I understand that these qualities can be developed through experience and hard work- two things that I am certainly not afraid of putting in.”
Sample Answers for candidates applying for Managerial positions
30. “The project manager position is of great interest to me. It will allow me to develop and utilize my project management and leadership skills.
I have five years of experience working as a project manager in the software industry. And I have successfully led teams through multiple software releases. In addition, I have a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Project Management. I built the necessary theoretical foundation to be successful in this role with it.
I am confident that I have the skills and experience required to be a successful project manager and leader. So, I am excited to apply my knowledge and skills in this new role.”
31. “I’m interested in this position because it allows me to be a thought leader in the educational community. I can help shape the direction of education by sharing my unique insights and experiences with others. In turn, this can improve the quality of education for everyone. It’s a win-win situation.”
32. “I’m interested in being a marketing manager because it seems like a great opportunity to continue building digital marketing skills.
I think the company has a lot of potential, and I’m excited to help contribute to its growth. Additionally, I believe this position will allow me to hone my skills and explore new opportunities in digital marketing. Overall, I’m incredibly excited about the possibility of joining this team and contributing to the company’s success.”
33. “I always enjoy a good challenge, and this position would offer me just that. I’m looking for more leadership opportunities where I can help grow and develop a team.
My previous experiences have shown me that I thrive in fast-paced environments and am adaptable to change. This position seems like it would be the perfect next step in my career journey. Plus, our company values seem aligned. I would love to be a part of a company making such a positive impact on the world.”
34. “While there are many aspects of this position that interest me, I’m most interested in the opportunity to get into direct management.
I’ve been working in the XYZ field for a few years now. I have always dreamt myself getting into a leadership role. This position feels like a great fit for my skills and interests.
I will feel honored to have the chance to handle this important responsibility for your company.”
35. “I want to be a senior manager in an organization because I am naturally driven to build people and their careers.
Being a leader isn’t always easy, but it’s rewarding to see your team succeed. I also think it’s important to have a career that challenges me mentally and emotionally. And I believe this position will do just that.
Lastly, I’m interested in this position because it will allow me to develop my strategic planning and management skills. And those are the skills I want to focus on in my career.”
Sample Answers for candidates applying for job positions that need creativity
36. “I’m keen to use my technical skills and creativity together. My previous work in art galleries has shown that I have a passion for working with art and also a strong interest in the technical aspects of displaying and preserving artwork.
I believe this position would be the perfect opportunity to continue my growth as an artist while using my skills in a more technical field.”
37. “I’ve always been interested in design and creativity. So, when I saw this position open up, I knew it was something I had to go for.
I love taking ideas and turning them into tangible designs that people can interact with and enjoy. In this role, I would be able to exercise my creativity daily while also working with some of the top minds in the industry. It’s a perfect fit for me, and I can’t wait to see what challenges and opportunities lie ahead.”
38. “This position gives me a huge opportunity to explore and use my creative juices!
I would love to work in an atmosphere where I have the freedom to paint my thoughts and ideas and then see how they affect the company as a whole. This position seems like a great fit for my skills and interests. And I would be honored to work with such an amazing team.”
39. “I’ve always been interested in the XYZ industry because of its designs.
When I was younger and saw XYZ happen. It made such an impression on me that I knew from then, that this is what I wanted to do with my life.
This is why I’m excited about this position, in particular. I feel like my skills and background are a good match for what the company is looking for.
I believe in the company’s mission. Plus, it’s just an amazing opportunity to work with some of the best people in the field. I know that if given a chance, I would excel in this role and contribute significantly to the company’s success.”
40. “I’ve always been passionate about design and communication. This position allows me to utilize my creativity and technical skills to create effective visual solutions for various clients.
Additionally, I believe this role will allow me to grow and develop my graphic design career long-term. I’m very excited about this specific position and its potential for my professional development.”
Sample Answers for social work positions in social work or NGO
41. “I’m interested in this position because I admire the work of your PR director. I think they’re doing an amazing job communicating your company’s message, and I want to help them continue to do so.
I have a background in marketing and communications, and I think I can be a valuable asset to your team. I believe in your work, and I want to help you achieve success.”
42. “A meaningful purpose in social work makes me interested in this position.
Too often, people are quick to write off those who are living in poverty or struggling with addiction. But I believe that it is our responsibility as a society to provide support and resources for these individuals. I know that we can help them reclaim their lives and contribute positively to our community with the right tools.
I have firsthand experience with the impact of addiction and poverty, as my father struggled with addiction for many years. My family was homeless for a time. These experiences have taught me the importance of compassion and resilience.
This empathy and understanding will help me to deliver in this position.”
43. “I am interested in this position because of the greater mission and strategic objectives that your company stands for. Your mission is closely aligned with my values, and I believe in your company’s impact.
I am a strategic thinker by nature. Plus, your company could benefit from a closer alignment with a digital presence. I am confident that I could contribute to your team and help you achieve even more success.”
Sample answers for candidates applying for positions in Accounting
44. “I am interested in this position because I aspire to work as a finance manager in future.
My experience working in the banking and accounting industries has given me the skills and knowledge to succeed in this role. In addition, my education has taught me the importance of financial planning and budgeting. I am confident that I can provide value to your company and help you achieve your financial goals.”
45. “I am interested in this position because I love understanding any business through numbers. Additionally, I enjoy working with numbers and solving problems, which accounting is all about. (Give an example or 2 of your previous experiences … )”
Sample Answers for candidates applying for positions in Sales and Marketing
46. “I’m interested in this position because it would allow me to excel in sales. I’ve been working in sales for the past five years. And I’ve consistently been one of the top performers in my company.
With the kind of products you sell, it will give me an opportunity to go a notch up! I know that I could be a valuable asset to your team, and I look forward to proving myself as a capable sales leader.”
47. “I was motivated to apply for this position because of the great marketing campaigns that the company has done in the past.
I admire the creativity and thoughtfulness that has gone into each campaign. Deep down, I want to be a part of creating similar work that reaches and engages people.
I think it’s important to have a message that people can connect with. And I feel like your company does a great job of finding ways to communicate its values interestingly and memorably.
I’m excited to help contribute to future campaigns and hopefully create some work that people will love as much as I do.”
48. “The position of Business Analyst appealed to me because it would allow me to use my innate quantitative skills towards the efficiency in marketing efforts. Since I was young, I have been fascinated by numbers and their ability to explain complex situations.
I took every math course available in high school, and I was the math team captain. My experience in data analysis and modeling in college solidified my desire to pursue a career in analytics. This position is the perfect match for my skills and interests.”
49. “I am interested in this position because I believe that you are disrupting an industry that needs some shaking up. Too often, companies get complacent and fail to innovate, leading to stagnation in the marketplace.
I admire your marketing efforts. They play a big role in bringing this disruption fast. I want to help be a part of that change and help your company grow and succeed.”
50. “I’m interested in this position because I love promoting businesses, products, and services. I have a lot of experience doing online marketing, and I think my skills would be a great addition to your team. I’m excited to share my knowledge and help promote your company to new heights.”
We hope this blog post has given multitudes of ideas and insights into how to answer the question, “Why are you interested in this position?”.
It can be tricky to know what to say when interviewers look for specific answers, but our other blog posts offer great tips for answering common interview questions. By reading our content and practicing your responses, you’ll feel confident walking into an interview, knowing that you have the best chance of landing the job.